MEDICAL STUDENT PERFORMANCE EVALUATION (MSPE)
The MSPE is a comprehensive summary of the student’s academic record from matriculation through the beginning of the Year 4 Curriculum. This document is a letter of evaluation that is intended to provide residency program directors an honest and objective summary of a student’s salient experiences, attributes, and academic performance. It is not a letter of recommendation. The document is a key part of the residency application packet.
The MSPE is prepared for all senior students by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs (pre-clerkship years) and the Regional Campus Deans (clerkship years). Students have the opportunity to contribute to the “Noteworthy Characteristics” section of the MSPE letter and to review the MSPE for factual accuracy. The Associate Dean for Student Affairs edits the final letter for accuracy and format. If for any reason, a student believes that the Associate Dean for Student Affairs or their regional campus dean cannot prepare the letter in an unbiased manner, he or she may request that the letter be completed by another member of the Dean’s Office.
- Students were required to submit information for the Noteworthy Characteristics section between July 12, 2021 and July 26, 2021.
- The Regional Campus Deans completed their work on the MSPEs in early to mid-August and submit them to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
- The Associate Dean for Student Affairs uploaded a draft of the completed letters in early September for the students' review.
- Students had two weeks after the draft letters were uploaded in September to review their MSPE and recommend edits to correct factual errors.
- Finalized MSPEs were uploaded by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
- Requests for an alternative MSPE author should be submitted to the Dean's Office no later than of the year in which the letter is to be written.
- MSPE Release date: The FSU COM releases the MSPEs on September 29,2021 of the student’s final year in the medical education program.
Effects of Covid-19 on the FSU COM curriculum:
- USMLE Step 2 CS was discontinued.
- The Class of 2022 did not participate in the M3 Formative OSCE testing due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- USMLE Step 1 was delayed for many students in the Class of 2022 when Prometrics testing centers were closed. As a result, most students used elective time during M3 year to re-study and take Step 1.
- The first two clerkships of M3 year were impacted by COVID-19 pandemic. Students in the Class of 2022 completed Rotations A and B using a split-clerkship model that began with two weeks of concentrated academics followed by four weeks of clinical experience. This was often separated by time due to the availability of clinical faculty during the early isolation phase of the pandemic. Students resumed a traditional six-week block Clerkship in Rotation C.
- The grading policy was not changed.