Wilhelmine Wiese-Rometsch, MD
Founding Program Director
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Dr. Wiese-Rometsch earned her M.D. at the Instituto Tecnológico de Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, where she was born and raised. She completed her internal medicine residency at East Carolina University at Pitt County Memorial Hospital. In her previous position, she served as Corporate Vice President of Academic Affairs and Designated Institutional Official at Detroit Medical Center. Dr. Wiese-Rometsch is fluent in Spanish.
- Reznek M, Di Giovine B,Kromrei H, Levine D, Wiese-Rometsch W, Schreiber M Quality Education and Safe Systems Training (QuESST): development and assessment of a comprehensive, cross-disciplinary resident quality and patient safety curriculum Journal of Graduate Medical Education 2010 2:2, 222-227; PMID 21975624
- Kromrei H, Wiese-Rometsch W (2010). Portfolio Assessment: Relevant Evaluation Methods and Their Implication for Portfolio Design. In Guerra-Lopez, I (Ed) Social and Organizational Performance Review: Concepts and Research; 2010 2:2. pp119-134 Bloomington: Author House
- Wiese-Rometsch, W; Kromrei H: Developing a Graduate Medical Education Leadership Academy; AHME News, Spring 2012
- Hussain S, Arsene C, Hamstra C, Woehrlen TH, Wiese-Rometsch W, White S:
Successful Resident Engagement in Quality Improvement: The Detroit Medical Center Story; E-pub ahead of print, Journal Graduate Medical Education 2016
Karen Hamad, MD
Associate Program Director
Specialty: Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Dr. Karen Hamad is Chief of Staff at Sarasota Memorial Hospital and Associate Program Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program. She is the site director for the Sarasota Memorial Internal Medicine practice in Newtown. After earning her undergraduate degree at Middlebury College in Vermont, she enrolled at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans. After completing her M.D. studies, she chose to remain at Tulane for her residency, specializing in Pediatrics and Internal Medicine. She is fluent in Spanish, French and Arabic.
Gregg A. Baran, MD
Dr. Baran earned his M.D. at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. He completed his residency at St. Louis University Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. He completed his fellowship at Washington University Medical Center in St. Louis, Missouri.
Rishi Bhattacharyya, MD
Specialty: Infectious Disease
Dr. Bhattycharyya earned his M.D. degree at the Robert Wood Johnson College of Medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Piscataway, New Jersey. He completed both his residency and fellowship at the Robert Wood Johnson College of Medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
Nishant Bhensdadia, MD
Dr. Bhensdadia earned his undergraduate degree at the M.P. Shah Medical College in India. He completed his residency at Southern Illinois University in Springfield, Illinois. Dr. Bhensdadia completed his fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina, in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Bhensdadia, N., Hunt, K., Lopes-Virella, M., Tucker, M., Neely, B., Janech, M., Arthur, J. Urine haptoglobin predicts early renal functional decline in patients with type 2 diabetes. Kidney International. 2013 Jun, 83(6):1136-43
- Kandula, P., Shah, R., Bhensdadia, N., Singh, N., Markwell, S., Navaneethan, S. Statins for Prevention of Contrast Induced Nephropathy in Patients Undergoing Non Emergent Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Nephrology. 2010 Mar; 15(2):165-70
Mauricio Concha, MD
Dr. Concha earned his M.D. degree at Instituto de Ciencias de la Salud in Colombia. He completed his internship at Mercy Medical Center at the University of Maryland. He completed his residency and fellowship at the University of Miami at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
- Chimowitz MI, Lynn MJ, Howlett-Smith H, Stern BJ, Hertzberg VS, Frankel MR, Levine SR, Chaturvedi S, Kasner SE, Benesch CG, Sila CA, Jovin TG, Romano JG; Warfarin-Aspirin Symptomatic Intracranial Disease Trial Investigators. Comparison of warfarin and aspirin for symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(13):1305-16.
- Koch S, Concha M, Wazzan T, Romano JG, Forteza A. High Dose Human Serum Albumin for the Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke: A Safety Study. Neurocritical Care 2004;1:335-342.
- Goodkin K, Shapshak P, Asthana D, Zheng W, Concha M, Wilkie F, Molina R, Lee D, Suarez, P, Symes S, Khamis I. Older age and plasma viral load in HIV-1 infection. AIDS, 2004;18 (suppl 1):S87-S98.
- The Warfarin Aspirin Symptomatic Intracranial Disease (WASID) Trial Investigators. Design and Progress of a Double Blind Trial of Warfarin versus Aspirin for Symptomatic Intracranial Arterial Stenosis. Neuroepidemiology. 2003;22(2):106-17.
Vida Farhangi, MD
Medical Director, Newtown Internal Medicine Practice
Dr. Farhangi completed her Internal Medicine Residency training at Kettering Medical Center at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. Her vast experience caring for diabetic patients makes her a great asset to our team. She is fluent in English, Farsi and French.
Kenneth Hurwitz, MD
Specialties: Pulmonology, Critical Care
Dr. Hurwitz earned his M.D. at University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. He completed his internship, residency and fellowship at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.
- Valipour A, Herth FJ, Burghuber OC, Criner G, Vergnon JM, Goldin J, Sciurba F, Ernst A; VENT Study Group. "Target lobe volume reduction and COPD outcome measures after endobronchial valve therapy"; Eur Respir J. 2014 Feb;43(2):387-96. PMID:23845721
- Sciurba FC, Ernst A, Herth FJ, Strange C, Criner GJ, Marquette CH, Kovitz KL, Chiacchierini RP, Goldin J, McLennan G; VENT Study Research Group. "A randomized study of endobronchial valves for advanced emphysema"; N Engl J Med. 2010 Sep 23;363(13):1233-44. PMID: 20860505
Bradd Kaplan, MD
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Dr. Kaplan earned his M.D. degree at SABA University in the Netherlands. He completed his residency at Norwalk Hospital in Norwalk, Connecticut.
Fadi Kayali, MD
Specialty: Oncology & Hematology
Dr. Kayali earned his MD degree at St. Petersburg Medical State University in Russia. He completed his residency at St. Joseph’s Oakland Hospital in Pontiac, Michigan. Dr. Kayali completed his fellowship at the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky.
- Kayali F, Janjua MA, Laber DA, Miller DM, Kloecker GH: Phase II Trial of Second Line Erlotinib and Digoxin in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer; Open Access Journal of Clinical Trials; 2011:3, 9-13
Kathleen Kennedy, MD
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Dr. Kennedy completed her undergraduate degree at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. She completed her internship and residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. Dr. Kennedy serves the Clerkship Director at the Florida State University College of Medicine’s Sarasota Regional Campus, overseeing all the internal medicine rotations for the third and fourth year medical students. Dr. Kennedy also coordinates fourth year electives in Internal Medicine.
Alan King, DO, PhD
Specialties: Internal Medicine, Pediatrics
Dr. King earned his D.O. at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. He completed his internship at Community Hospital of Lancaster in Lancaster, PA. Dr. King completed his residency at Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, PA.
Wende Kozlow, MD
Dr. Kozlow earned her M.D. degree at Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She completed her residency and fellowship at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Dr. Kozlow completed a residency at University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Stephen T. Kucera, MD
Dr. Kucera earned his M.D. at Ross University School of Medicine in the West Indies. He completed his residency at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. He completed his Fellowship at University of South Florida and Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida.
- Barthel JS, Kucera S, Lin J, Ahmed I, Hoffe S, Dilling T, Stevens C. ;"Does Barrett’s esophagus respond to chemoradiation therapy for adenocarcinoma of the esophagus?" Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2010;71:235-40. PMID: 20003971
- Barthel JS, Kucera S, Harris C, Canti D, Hoffe S, Meredith K. "Cryoablation of persistent Barrett’s epithelium after definitive chemoradiation therapy for esophageal adenocarcinoma"; Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2011;74:51-7. PMID: 21549371
- Kucera S, Centeno B, Springett G, Chen A, Weber A, Malafa, M, Klapman J. "Cyst fluid carcinoembryonic antigen level is not predictive of invasive cancer in patients with intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas"; Journal of Pancreas 2012 Jul 10; 13(4):409-413. PMID: 22797397
- Kucera JN, Kucera S, Perrin SD, Caracciolo JT, Schmulewitz N, Kedar RP; "Cystic lesions of the pancreas: radiographic and endosonographic correlation"; Radiographics 2012; 32:E283-E301. PMID: 23150863
Horace K. Liang, MD
Specialty: Emergency Medicine
Dr. Liang earned his M.D. degree at University of Kansas in Kansas City, Missouri. He completed his internship and residency at Northwestern University McGaw Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois.
Rabih Loutfi, MD
Specialties: Pulmonology, Critical Care, Internal Medicine, Sleep Medicine
Dr. Loutfi earned his M.D. degree at the American University of Beirut in New York, New York. He completed his internship and residency at SUMMA Health System in Akron, Ohio. Dr. Loutfi completed his fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
Jaishree Manohar, MD
Dr. Manohar completed her M.D. degree at Wright State University’s Boonshoft School of Medicine in Dayton, Ohio. She completed her residency at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Brunswick, New Jersey. Dr. Manohar completed her fellowship at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA.
- Checa A , Manohar J, Russell E, Hussain H.: Persistent median artery in the wrist: from a medical curiosity to a common anatomic variant with therapeutic implications. J Clin Rheumatol. 2013 Jun;19(4):223-4; PMID: 23669805
Michael Mollod, MD
Specialties: Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine
Dr. Mollod earned his M.D. at Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts. He completed his internship and residency at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Dr. Mollod completed his fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Robinson JG, Farnier M, Krempf M, Bergeron J, Luc G, Averna M, Stroes ES, Langslet G, Raal FJ, El Shahawy M, Koren MJ, Lepor NE, Lorenzato C, Pordy R, Chaudhari U, Kastelein JJ; ODYSSEY LONG TERM Investigators. "Efficacy and safety of alirocumab in reducing lipids and cardiovascular events". N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 16;372(16):1489-99. PMID:25773378
- Rosenthal LS, Mester S, Rakovec P, Penaranda JB, Sherman JR, Sheldon TJ, Zeng C, Wang P; CAPTURE Trial Investigators. "Factors influencing pacemaker generator longevity: results from the complete automatic pacing threshold utilization recorded in the CAPTURE Trial." Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2010 Aug;33(8):1020-30. PMID: 20545869
John Moritz, DO
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Dr. Moritz earned his D.O. at Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He completed his internship at Humana Hospital South Broward in Hollywood, Florida. Dr. Moritz completed his residency at Akron City Hospital in Akron, Ohio.
Anjun Patel, MD
Specialty: Hematology/ Oncology
Dr. Patel earned his M.D. degree at Florida State University College of Medicine in Tallahassee, Florida. He completed his residency at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. He completed his fellowship at University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida.
- Cope J, Bushwitz J, Antigua A, Patel A, Zumberg M. “Clinical Experience with Prophylactic Fondaparinux in Critically Ill Patients with Moderate to Severe Renal Impairment or Renal Failure Requiring Renal Replacement.” Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2015; 49(3):270-277.
- Briceno P, Baughen K, Kucera S, Brown R, Patel A, Shridhar R, Lee J, Meredith K. “Neutrophilto Lymphocyte ratio and Platelet to Lymphocyte Ratio can be used to Predict Recurrences for all Gastrointestinal Malignancies.” GI ASCO 2016, abstract number159841.
- Patel A, Liu H, Lager R, Malkovska V, Zhang B. “Successful percutaneous coronary intervention in a patient with combined deficiency of FV and FVIII due to novel compound heterozygous mutations in LMAN1.” Haemophilia. 2013;1-4
- Patel A, Battish R, Gold M. “Mucosal Abnormalities Identified through a Veterans Affairs Open Access Colonoscopy Program.” Presented at DC Regional ACP Meeting, 2009.
Jesus Perez, MD
Specialties: Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
Dr. Perez earned his M.D. degree at Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez Urena in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. He completed his internship at Cornell University at New York Methodist Hospital. He completed his residency at Yale University at Danbury Hospital in Danbury, Connecticut. Dr. Perez completed an Endocrinology Fellpwship. Year One of the Fellowship was at Tufts University at the Lahey Medical Clinic in Burlington, Massachusetts. Year Two of the Fellowship was completed at Harvard University at Joslin Diabetes Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Brigham Women and Children’s Hospital in Boston.
- Effects of Initiating Insulin and Metformin on Glycemic Control and Inflammatory Biomarkers Among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Pradhan AD, et al. The Lancet Ramdomized Trial Investigators. JAMA, Vol. 302, No. 11, 1186-1194, September 16, 2009.
- Clomiphene Increases Free Testosterone Levels in Men with Both Secondary Hypogonadism and Erectile Dysfunction: Who does and Does Not Benefit? Guay AT, Jacobson J, Perez JB, Hodge MB, Velazquez E. International Journal of Impotence Research. V. 15, 156-165, 2003.
Scott Perin, MD
Dr. Perrin earned his M.D. degree at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. He completed his residency and fellowship at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida.
- Kucera JN, Kucera S, Perrin SD, Caracciolo JT, Schmulewitz N, Kedar RP: Cystic Lesions of the Pancreas: Radiologic-Endoscopic Correlation. Radiographics. 2012 Nov-Dec;32(7):E283-301. PMID: 23150863
Bruce Robinson, MD, MPH
Specialties: Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, Palliative Medicine
Dr. Robinson earned both an M.D. and Master of Public Health at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida, where he trained in Internal Medicine and spent 17 years as Chief of Geriatrics, attaining the rank of Professor of Medicine. Dr. Robinson completed his fellowship in Geriatrics at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Robinson serves the Geriatrics Clerkship Director at the Florida State University College of Medicine’s Sarasota Regional Campus, overseeing all the geriatrics rotations for the third and fourth year medical students. He is the immediate past Chairman of the American Board of Post-acute and Long-term care Medicine.
- Thein M, Ershler W, Artz AS, Tecson J, Robinson BE Rothstein G, Liede R, Gylys-Colwell L, Lu ZJ, Robbins S, Diminished Quality of Life and Physical Function in Community-Dwelling Elderly with Anemia, Medicine, 2009 Mar;88(2):107-14
- McIlvane JM, Popa MA, RobinsonBE, Houseweart K, Haley WB, Perceptions of Illness, Coping, and Well-being in Persons With Mild Cognitive Impairment and Their Care Partners, Alz Dis Assoc Disord; 2008;22:284-92
- Small BJ, Gagnon E, Robinson BE, Early identification of cognitive deficits, Geriatrics 62:19-23,2007.
- Levine S, Brett B., B.E. Robinson, Granville L, Goodwin C; Dunn K, Barry PP, Practicing physician education in geriatrics: lessons learned from a train-the-trainer model. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Aug;55(8):1281-6
- Bruce Robinson, MD, MPH, Andrew S. Artz, MD, Bruce Culleton, MD, Cathy Critchlow, PhD, Angela Sciarra, PharmD, Paul Audhya, MD. Prevalence of Anemia in the Nursing Home: Contribution of Chronic Kidney Disease. J Am Geriatr Soc, 55:1566-72, 2007.
Ashok Sastry, MD
Specialties: Internal Medicine, Nephrology
Dr. Sastry earned his M.D. degree at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine as well as his fellowship in Nephrology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
Dr. Sastry serves as Chief of the Department of Medicine at Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and the Subspecialty Coordinator for Nephrology.
Joseph Seaman, MD
Specialties: Pulmonology, Critical Care
Dr. Seaman earned his M.D. degree at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. He completed his residency at the University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dr. Seaman completed his fellowships at the University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio and the National Jewish Health System in Denver, Colorado.
- Seaman JC, Leonard AC, Panos RJ. Healthcare Utilization History, GOLD Guidelines, and Respiratory Medication Prescriptions in Patients with COPD, Respiratory Prescriptions and Prior COPD Encounters. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 5:89-97, April 2010 PMID:20463890
- Seaman JC, Knepler JL, Bauer K, Rashkin M. The mean green popsicle, using cryoadhesion to remove bronchial foreign bodies. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 17(4):348-350, October 2010; PMID: 23168960
- Metzdorff MT, Seaman JC, Opperman DA, Goates JJ, Musani AI. Tracheal paraganglioma: an unusual neoplasm of the upper airway. Ann Thorac Surg. 93(5):1717-9, May 2012; PMID: 22541208
- Choo EM, Seaman JC, Musani AI. Tracheomalacia/Tracheobronchomalacia and hyperdynamic airway collapse. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 33(1): 23-34, February 2013; PMID: 23337062
- Seaman JC, Musani AI. Endobronchial Ablative Therapies. Clin Chest Med. 34(3): 417-425, September 2013; PMID 23993813
Robert Smith, Ph.D.
Dr. Smith leads design, development and implementation of the Internal Medicine Residency Program research curriculum. He will mentor residents on the design of research projects. He earned his Ph.D. degree at the University of Florida and is a Fellow in the College of Critical Medicine. Dr. Smith directed clinical research in anesthesiology, critical care medicine and pain medicine at Tulane University (4Y), University of Florida-Jacksonville Health Education Program (8Y) and University of South Florida (15Y). He retired from the National Institutes of Health after 10Y as a Program Director at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. He currently serves as Consulting Scientist for the F.A.R. Institute in Sarasota, Florida.
- Levy BD, Noel PJ, Freemer MM, . . ., Smith RA, Erzurum SC. Future Research Directions in Asthma: An NHLBI Working Group Report. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;192:1366-72
- Finlay GD, Rothman MJ, Smith RA: Measuring the Modified Early Warning Score and the Rothman Index: Advantages of utilizing the electronicmedical record in an early warning system. J Hosp Med 2014;9:116-9
- Akinbami LJ, Sullivan SD, Campbell JD, Grundmeier RW, Hartert TV, Lee TA, Smith RA: Asthma outcomes: healthcare utilization and costs. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;129:S49-64
- Antó JM, Pinart M, Akdis M, Auffray C, . . . , Smith RA, . . . and WHO Collaborating Centre on Asthma and Rhinitis: Understanding the complexity of IgE-related phenotypes from childhood to young adulthood: a Mechanisms of the Development of Allergy (MeDALL). J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;129:943-54
Dean Sutherland, MD, PhD
Dr. Sutherland is a Neurologist in Sarasota, Florida. He earned his Ph.D. in Neuroscience at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, followed by his M.D. degree at the University of Florida in Gainesville. He completed his internship and residency at the University of Florida, where he served as Chief Resident in Neurology. He specializes in Movement Disorders, especially Parkinson Disease, and is the Medical Director for Neurochallenge Foundation for Parkinson Disease.
Kirk G. Voelker, MD
Specialities: Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care, Internal Medicine
Dr. Voelker earned his M.D. at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. He completed his internship and residency at Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando, Florida. He completed his fellowship at the University of California.
- Wood DE, Nader DA, Springmeyer SC, Elstad MR, Coxson HO, Chan A, Rai NS, Mularski RA, Cooper CB, Wise RA, Jones PW, Mehta AC, Gonzalez X, Sterman DH; IBV Valve Trial Research Team. The IBV Valve trial: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind trial of endobronchial therapy for severe emphysema. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2014 Oct;21(4):288-97. doi: 10.1097
- Valipour A, Herth FJ, Burghuber OC, Criner G, Vergnon JM, Goldin J, Sciurba F, Ernst A; VENT Study Group. Target lobe volume reduction and COPD outcome measures after endobronchial valve therapy. Eur Respir J. 2014 Feb;43(2):387-96. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00133012. Epub 2013 Jul 11
Joelle Vlahakis, MD
Specialty: Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Hospice & Palliative Care
Dr. Vlahakis earned her M.D. at the University of Miami in Miami, Florida. She completed her internship and residency at Michigan State University in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Ricardo Yaryura, MD
Specialty: Cardiovascular Disease
Dr. Yaryura earned his M.D. degree at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada. He completed his residency at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New Hyde Park, New York. Dr. Yaryura completed his fellowship at the Texas Heart Institute in Houston, Texas.
- Yaryura R, Rehman A, Morsli H, Hussain N.; Transcatheter Aortic and Mitral Valve Replacement in a Patient With Critical Aortic and Mitral Valve In-Ring Stenosis; JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015 Aug 24;8(10):e155-7.
- Kereiakes DJ, Yeh RW, Massaro JM, et al Dual Antiplatelet Therapy (DAPT) Study Investigators; Antiplatelet therapy duration following bare metal or drug-eluting coronary stents: the dual antiplatelet therapy randomized clinical trial; JAMA. 2015 Mar 17;313(11):1113-21
- Kereiakes DJ, Yeh RW, Massaro JM, et al Dual Antiplatelet Therapy (DAPT) Study Investigators; Twelve or 30 months of dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stents. N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 4;371(23):2155-66
Richard Yonker, DO
Specialties: Rheumatology and Internal Medicine
Dr. Yonker earned his D.O. degree at the Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed his internship at Parkview Hospital in Philadelphia. He completed his residency at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. Dr. Yonker did his fellowship in rheumatology at University of Florida in Gainesville. Dr. Yonker is board-certified in Rheumatology and Internal Medicine.