2024 Summer Institute
Only in-person, residential opportunities will be available for Summer 2024
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is a weeklong, residential program designed for students who are committed to pursuing a career in the medical field.
The SSTRIDE Summer Institute introduces students to a variety of clinical settings, provides information about financial aid and university pre-health advising/programs, exposes students to college life, gives students a perspective on the life of a medical student, exposes students to certain aspects of the medical school curriculum through interaction with faculty and participation in faculty led presentations about medical topics, and inspires students to pursue careers in health-care professions.
Program Dates (Each student attends one session of their preference)
- Session 1: June 9th - June 14th
- Session 2: July 7th - July 12th
- Session 3: July 21st - July 26th
Online Application Closes February 22, 2024
Goals of FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute
- Introduce students to college life and FSU College of Medicine
- Inspire students to work with medically underserved patients
- Offer opportunities to enhance knowledge and skills in the field of medicine.
Opportunities and Activities
- Physician and Biomedical Researcher Shadowing
- Rural Medicine Tour
- Medical Faculty Workshops
- Vital Signs Workshop and CPR Training
- College Admission and Financial Aid Seminars
- Medical Ethics Workshop
- Medical Student Mentoring
- Anatomy Lab Tour
- Recreational Activities
- Research Project on a Health Topic (Team Activity)
- Research Group Presentations (Competition)
- Awards Ceremony
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is open to students who have completed their sophomore or junior year of high school. Applicants will be selected on the following criteria:
- 3.3 unweighted GPA (minimum)
- Performance in math and science courses
- Essay (500 word minimum)
- Letters of recommendation from teacher and guidance counselor.
$1,400 (covers registration, supplies, room and board on FSU campus)
20 students per session
Limited Scholarships are available for qualified students who show financial need or extenuating circumstance. (Available to Florida Residents only)
Required Supporting Materials to be completed with the application:
- Science teacher recommendation
- Guidance counselor recommendation
- Copy of high school transcript with most current grades
Supporting Document Submission
Supporting documentation will be uploaded into the application system.