We've gone virtual for 2021!
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is a 5-day program designed for students who are committed to pursuing a career in the medical field.
The SSTRIDE Summer Institute introduces students to a variety of clinical settings, provides information about financial aid and university pre-health advising/programs, exposes students to college life, gives students a perspective on the life of a medical student, exposes students to certain aspects of the medical school curriculum through interaction with faculty and participation in faculty led presentations about medical topics, and inspires students to pursue careers in health-care professions.
- Session 1: June 21st - 25th, 2021
- Session 2: July 12th - 16th, 2021
Deadline Extended to: March 15th, 2021 at 11:59pm ET
Goals of FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute
- Introduce students to college life and FSU College of Medicine
- Inspire students to work with medically underserved patients
- Offer opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in the field of medicine.
Opportunities and Activities
- Surgery Videos and Live Chat with Surgeon
- Rural Medicine Tour and Engagement Activity
- Medical Faculty Workshops
- Vital Signs Workshop and CPR Training
- Admission and Financial Aid Seminars
- College Preparedness Seminars
- Medical Ethics Workshop
- Medical Student Mentoring
- Virtual Anatomy Tour and Live Chat with Medical Students
- Recreational Activities
- Research Project on a Health Topic (Team Activity)
- Research Group Presentations (Competition)
- Awards Ceremony
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is open to students who have completed their sophomore or junior year of high school. Applicants will be selected on the following criteria:
- 3.3 grade point average (minimum)
- Performance in math and science courses
- Essay (500 word minimum)
- Letters of recommendation from teacher and guidance counselor.
The cost is $550 which covers registration and supplies.
Program Limit: 40 students per session.
Limited Scholarships are available for qualified students who show financial need or extenuating circumstance. (Available to Florida Residents only)
Required Supporting Materials to be completed with the application:
- Science teacher recommendation
- Guidance counselor recommendation
- Copy of high school transcript with most current grades
Supporting Document Submission
Supporting documentation will be uploaded into the application system.