It's an on-campus living and learning experience!
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is a one-week residential program on the campus of Florida State University designed for students who are committed to pursuing a career in the medical field.
The SSTRIDE Summer Institute motivates students to excel academically, introduces students to a variety of clinical settings, provides standardized test preparation for ACT and SAT, provides information about scholarships and university mentoring programs, exposes students to college life, gives students a perspective on the life of a medical student, expose students to certain aspects of the medical school curriculum through interaction with faculty and participation in faculty led presentations about medical topics, and inspires students to pursue careers in health-care professions.
- Session 1: June 9th - 14th, 2019
- Session 2: June 23rd - 28th, 2019
- Session 3: July 14th - 19th, 2019
Application Cycle Has Closed for 2019
Goals of FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute
- Introduce students to college life and FSU College of Medicine
- Inspire students to work with medically underserved patients
- Offer opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in the field of medicine.
Opportunities and Activities
- Physician Shadowing
- Medical Faculty Workshop
- Test Preparation (ACT and SAT)
- Admission and Financial Aid Seminars
- Research Project on a Health Topic
- College Preparedness Seminars
- Medical Ethics Workshop
- Medical Student Mentoring
- Recreational Activities
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is open to students who have completed their sophomore or junior year of high school. Applicants will be selected on the following criteria:
- 3.3 grade point average (minimum)
- Performance in college-preparatory math and science courses
- Essay (500 word minimum)
- Letters of recommendation from teacher and guidance counselor.
The cost is $975 which covers registration, lodging, meals, transportation to site visits and supplies.
Program Limit: 20 students per session.
Limited Scholarships are available for qualified students who show financial need or extenuating circumstance.
Required Supporting Materials to be completed with the application:
- Science teacher recommendation
- Guidance counselor recommendation
- Official copy of high school transcript with most current grades
Supporting Document Submission
ATTN: Trasetta Alexander
Department of Outreach and Advising
FSU College of Medicine
P.O. Box 3064300
1115 W. Call Street, Suite 2140
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4300