Welcome to The Florida State University College of Medicine!!
Class of 2024, get ready! Orientation is designed to help you get acquainted with the 'lay of the land' and help make your transition to the College of Medicine a success. Second year students have volunteered as Orientation Ambassadors to help make your experience exciting and fun. Your Student Affairs family is here to support, guide and assist with any questions that may arise throughout your tenure with us. We are excited about your coming to be part of the FSU COM family and look forward to your arrival!
Please be sure to re-visit this site periodically as we will continue to provide updates.
Before arrival you will need to:
- Complete all enrollment requirements. Make sure to complete the admissions checklist, log in to https://www.med.fsu.edu/Admissions/ (Please make sure that you are completing all of the Castle Branch requirements)
- Be sure that University Health Services receives your immunization and proof of adequate health insurance records. For more information go to: https://www.uhs.fsu.edu/
- Be sure to email Heather Gordon, your preferred name for your name tag! Email is listed at the end of this page.
- The College of Medicine IT office strongly recommends that incoming students bring an external hard drive with them to FSU, as all students are responsible for backing up their data. A minimum of 500gb model should be sufficient to back-up your laptops while you are here. If you do not already own an external hard drive or you are unsure what type to purchase, then please be prepared to purchase one during your first week here as we will provide more details at orientation.
ORIENTATION IS MANDATORY:
- Tuesday, May 26th - Wednesday, May 27th.
- Attire – Business casual for the week. Tallahassee is quite warm so you may want to wear short sleeves or layer. Please check the forecast to be prepared for any inclement weather. Please bring casual clothes and shoes, also. You will be walking over to the FSU Card Center on your first day!
- Locks - Please bring a lock for your locker.
- Parking – Park in the Student Parking at Stadium Drive and Spirit Way (in the garage or lot beside the garage) - get directions to the College of Medicine. You will be issued a temporary parking pass when you check in that morning for the week (you will not have to worry about receiving a ticket the first and second day of Orientation, given that you park in the correct area). Later, you will have to request your parking permit on-line through FSU Parking Services
- Students are expected to have reliable transportation during their tenure at FSU CoM
- Housing Information
- IT recommend that students purchase an external hard drive for computer back up
- Medical Equipment Order Form
Weeks 1 & 2 schedule: Click Here
- Tuesday, May 26th
8:30am - 4:00pm
Attire: Business Dress
Optional Attire: Casual clothing and comfortable shoes to change into for a later visit to FSU Card Center.
Activities: Welcome from COM Administrators, Welcome to the Profession, Welcome to the College of Medicine, Deans Luncheon, FSU COM Information Technology Session and a "walk" to the FSU Card Center.
*Breakfast & Lunch will be provided.
- Wednesday, May 27th
8:00am - 4:00pm
Attire: Business Casual. You may want to bring 'business dress material' for your Individual Portraits (gentlemen wear a coat and tie; ladies should wear comparable attire)
Activities: Facilities & Resources and Individual Portraits, Introduction to Student Services, Medical Student Wellness, Medical Library, Amazing Race, Learning Community Development, .
*Lunch will be provided.
- Friday, June 5th, New Student Welcome Picnic
12:00 - 1:30pm
*Lunch will be provided
- Friday, June 5th, Significant Other Orientation
2:00 - 3:00pm
If you would like vegetarian meals during Orientation, please contact Heather Gordon by Monday, May 11th to indicate your request. Please also inform us of any food allergies.
- White Coat Ceremony: August 7th - 6:00pm-8:00pm
If you have questions before you arrive, please feel free to contact the following individuals:
- Registrar/Enrollment – Melinda McDaniel
- Financial Aid – Patrena Perry
- Orientation Coordinator – Heather Gordon
If you have any other questions, please call our Student Affairs office at (850) 644-8210.
Again, welcome to the FSU COM and we look forward to seeing you on May 26th!