Rationale for Small Group Learning
Reasons for Using Small Groups to Foster Learning (Adapted from Fostering Learning in Small Groups by Jane Westberg and Hilliard Jason)
- Learners gain a sense of ownership of the learning process.
- Helps learners build their own knowledge. Knowledge built is knowledge understood.
- Provides an environment for learners to practice skills in a safe environment so that skills will be more rehearsed when applied in the "real" setting.
- Provides opportunity to learn effective group process and be part of a team (a "learning team").
- Provides opportunities for enhancement of communication skills.
- Provides opportunities to give and to receive feedback.
- Provides opportunities for learners to learn from each other rather that the "experts" who sometimes cannot explain content at the level needed by the learner.
- Helps learners understand others points of view.
- Provides a supportive environment.
- Provides opportunity to learn by teaching/sharing.