College of Medicine well-represented at FAFP meeting
At the annual meeting of the Florida Academy of Family Physicians, a handful of FSU College of Medicine faculty members, one student and one resident were honored or elected.
Among the honorees were:
- Nathan Falk, M.D. (founding director, FSU College of Medicine Family Medicine Residency Program at Winter Haven Hospital) – Exemplary Full-time Educator of the Year. “Dr. Falk has used his expertise to publish information on sports and family medicine topics, as well as give expert lectures from Florida to China,” read his nomination letter. “He is dedicated to providing the highest-quality instruction to physicians in all phases of their medical training and practice in a full-time capacity.”
- Charles Fleischer, M.D. (resident, Lee Health Family Medicine Residency Program) – Exceptional Resident Scholar. “Dr. Fleischer engages in preventive medicine and educates patients regarding healthy lifestyles,” read his nomination letter. “His focus is on individual patients and their overall health and is not limited to one specialty or one patient demographic. Interacting with his patients in a positive and effective manner is important to him and requires effective communication skills including being an engaged listener.”
- Doug Meuser, M.D. (clerkship faculty, Orlando Regional Campus) – Exemplary Part-time Educator of the Year. “Dr. Meuser possesses the expertise to provide the highest-quality instruction to physicians in all phases of their medical training and practice in a part-time capacity,” read his nomination letter. “He currently practices at Personalized Primary Care with emphasis on patient-centered care, evidence-based medicine and preventive health.”
The following College of Medicine faculty members, plus one student, were elected to leadership positions:
- Christie Alexander, M.D. (assistant professor, Department of Family Medicine and Rural Health) – president-elect.
- Michelle Brandhorst, M.D. (clerkship faculty, Pensacola Regional Campus) – president.
- Robert Campbell, M.D. (associate dean for student affairs) – membership committee vice chair.
- Ajoy Kumar, M.D. (clerkship faculty, Sarasota Regional Campus) – board chair.
- Alma Littles, M.D. (senior associate dean for medical education and academic affairs) – AAFP delegate and foundation vice president.
- Dennis Mayeaux, M.D. (geriatrics clerkship director, Pensacola Regional Campus) – foundation president.
- Acton Pifer (fourth-year student, Daytona Beach Regional Campus) – student director.
- Carrie Vey, M.D. (clerkship faculty, Daytona Beach Regional Campus) – vice president.