American Medical Student Association
The American Medical Student Association is the only medical student organization completely run by students for students. They are the voice of the medical students and work for our rights.
Welcome to AMSA!
The American Medical Student Association (AMSA), with a half-century history of medical student activism, is the oldest and largest independent association of physicians-in-training in the United States.
Today, AMSA is a student-governed, national organization committed to representing the concerns of physicians-in-training. AMSA members are medical students, premedical students, interns, residents and practicing physicians. Founded in 1950, AMSA continues its commitment to improving medical training and the nation's health.
How is AMSA different from other organizations? When you join AMSA, you become part of a vital force of future physicians who believe that patients and health professionals are partners in the management of health care and that access to high-quality health care is a right and not a privilege. At AMSA, activism is a way of life. Student idealism is transformed into meaningful public service, innovation and institutional change.
What Are We All About?
Medical school will likely be the most difficult life challenge you have faced. From the rigorous studying to the pressure of fulfilling your roles as student, family member and friend, you need all the help you can get to succeed.
AMSA is committed to improving the lives of medical students like you, in big ways and small. Our benefits will make your life just a little easier, and our magazine, The New Physician, will bring a smile to your face and provide a needed diversion from studying.
AMSA is about more than just improving medical student lives. We live in the richest country in the world, yet many have no health insurance. Research shows that health disparities are rampant in America. AMSA's role in these issues is extremely important, because our strength is giving power to medical students to take action and create change about issues that they care about. It's the presence of visionary medical students and our energy that makes AMSA such a powerful organization.
When you join AMSA, you become part of a vital force of future physicians who believe that health professionals and patients are partners in the management and maintenance of health, and that access to high-quality health care is a right and not a privilege. At AMSA, activism is a way of life. Student idealism is transformed into meaningful public service, innovation and institutional change.
The AMSA Advantage
- AMSA is where you build your professional network. It is your home, community and support through medical school. AMSA Members are the most talented, intelligent and passionate future physicians, the highest achieving residents and the most respected doctors.
- AMSA is where you have a voice. With AMSA you can take action now on important issues ranging from student debt relief, patient safety and healthcare reform, to AIDS awareness, global health initiatives, medical professionalism and much more!
- AMSA is where you can lead now. With AMSA you don't have to wait for your degree, you can lead now. From local or grassroots positions to national roles, AMSA Membership is viewed favorably by admissions committees and residency programs.
- AMSA is where you focus on your interests. What's your specialty? Is it Pediatrics or Orthopedics? Surgery or Internal Medicine? LGBT issues or Health Policy? AMSA Members have diverse and broad interests. Just like you.
- AMSA is where you learn. Through AMSA, you can attend thought-provoking seminars, institutes and national conferences covering topics you won't find in a traditional medical school curriculum.
- AMSA is where you build your resume. You will have the opportunity to present your original research, author an article, write a blog post, be interviewed for a podcast or lead a peer seminar. This is where you are a leader.