Skip Main Navigation | Skip to Content

News of the Week Home

Press Release

Medical Library Dedicated for Dr. Charlotte Edwards Maguire

Bookmark and Share

CONTACT
Phone: (850) 645-1255
Feb. 25, 2005

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Florida State University College of Medicine today dedicated the Charlotte Edwards Maguire Medical Library during the luncheon of the FSU Foundation winter board of trustees meeting. The dedication took place at the newly completed John Thrasher Building. Dr.
Charlotte Maguire is a long-time supporter of FSU and a trustee of the FSU Foundation.

The Charlotte Edwards Maguire Medical Library is the first new medical library created since the rise of the Internet, and 95 percent of its resources are available online, including 2.5 million electronic journal articles. In addition to naming the physical library for Dr. Maguire, the virtual library also has been named for her.

Maguire was the only woman in the 1944 graduating class of the University of Arkansas' medical school, as well as Orlando's first female doctor.
She has been involved with several health organizations as the first female president of the Florida Pediatric Society, a delegate of the World Health Conference in London and the Assistant Secretary of Health and Scientific Affairs for the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare. Maguire also earned the Distinguished Achievement Commendation Award from London's Two Thousand Women of Distinction.

In an effort to give back to others who are currently studying at the fully accredited FSU College of Medicine, Maguire set up a $1 million endowed scholarship fund that provided 23 medical school scholarships. A recent additional gift of $130,000 from Maguire granted two full-tuition scholarships to the college.

At the dedication, FSU president T.K. Wetherell thanked Dr. Maguire for her support and effort in helping the medical school reach full accreditation. Dr. J. Ocie Harris, dean of the College of Medicine, spoke of the importance of the medical school to the community and recognized students who have received scholarships.

"We are honored to have such a notable individual take such a personal interest in the medical school and its students," Harris said. "Her generous support during the planning stages of the college, and her overall encouragement, was vital to our success."

The FSU College of Medicine, created by the Florida Legislature in 2000, aims to educate physicians who will practice patient-centered medicine and be sensitive to community needs, especially those of the underprivileged. The college has established regional campuses in Orlando, Pensacola, Sarasota and Tallahassee, and plans to develop campuses in Ft. Myers and Jacksonville as well.

The FSU Foundation Inc. is a private, non-profit 501( c ) 3 organization dedicated to raising private gifts to support FSU. The foundation is raising $600 million in the FSU CONNECT campaign to fund programs, facilities, professorships and scholarships for the university. For more information, visit www.FSUCONNECT.com.