B.A. (with Honors in Chemistry), cum laude, Williams College, Williamstown, MA, 1975
M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, 1979
Internal Medicine Residency, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA, 1979-1982
Board Certified, Internal Medicine, 1982
Board Certified, Geriatric Medicine, 1988, 1998, 2008
Board Certified, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 1994, 2006
Credentialed, American Academy of HIV Medicine, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009
Board of Directors, HealthNet of New England, 1988-1994
Governor's Council, Connecticut Chapter, American College of Physicians, 1992-1994
Chapter President, Massachusetts Society of Internal Medicine, 1998
Transitional Governor, Massachusetts Chapter American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine, 1998-1999
Secretary, American Academy of HIV Medicine, 2004-2006
Chapter board, Florida chapter, American Academy of HIV Medicine, 2009-2011 Steering Committee, Group on Diversity and Inclusion, Association of American Medical Colleges, 2010 Chair, Steering Committee, Florida chapter, American Academy of HIV Medicine Chair, Diversity and Inclusion Council, FSU-COM 2011- Steering Committee, Florida HIV/AIDS Research Consortium 2011- Member, HIV Workforce Committee, Americal College of Phyisicans Foundation 2011- Subintership Committee, Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine 2011- Member, Board of Directors, Americal Academy of HIV Medicine 2011-
Outstanding Senior Faculty Educator 2010-2011, FSU-COM
American College of Physicians
American Hospice and Palliative Medicine Association (founding member)
Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
American Geriatrics Society
American Academy of HIV Medicine
Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine Florida Geriatrics Society
Aging and HIV
1. Appelbaum J, Stubbe JA. Enolase catalyzed beta,gamma-alpha,beta isomerization of 2-phospho-3-butenoic acid to (Z)-phosphoenol-alpha-ketobutyrate. Biochemistry. 1975;14(17):3908-12.
2. Gore JM, Appelbaum JS, Greene HL, Dexter L, Dalen JE. Occult cancer in patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Ann Intern Med. 1982;96(5):556-60.
3. Appelbaum JS, Wilding G, Morse LJ. Yersinia enterocolitica endocarditis. Arch Intern Med. 1983;143(11):2150-1.
4. Mayer K, Appelbaum J, Rogers T, Lo W, Bradford J, Boswell S. The evolution of the Fenway Community Health model. Am J Public Health. 2001;91(6):892-4.
5. Appelbaum JS, Elion R, Gallant JE, Henry K, Newman MD, Saag MS, Sax PE. Who Should be Providing HIV Care? AIDS Clinical Care. 2006;18(3):21-24.
6. Molokwu CN, Appelbaum JS, Miksad RA. Detection of prostate cancer following gender reassignment. BJU Int. 2008;101(2):259; author reply 259-60.
7. Simone MJ, Appelbaum J. HIV in older adults. Geriatrics. 2008;63(12):6-12.
8. Appelbaum, J. Scheduling of Tests. In: Clinical Medicine Greene HL, ed. Boston (MA): Mosby-Yearbook, Inc;1996. p. 59.
9. Appelbaum JS. Late Adulthood and Aging: Clinical Approaches. In: Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health (Makadon HJ, Mayer KH, Potter J and Goldhammer H, editors). Philadelphia (PA): American College of Physicians;2007. p. 135-158.
10. Mayer K, Lasalvia T, Church D, Peterson N, Kwong J, Appelbaum J, Boswell S. Non-Occupational Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) vs HIV in a Boston Community Health Center. Infectious Disease Society of America annual meeting. 1998.
11. Goldhammer H, Mayer KH, Grasso C, Golub S, Appelbaum J, Feuer J, Cohen D, Averbach A, Bertrand T. Behavioral Risk Assessment of MSM Screened for STI at a Boston Community Health Center. Presented at National STD Conference, Philadelphia PA. 2004.
12. Towner W, Haigney Z, Sension MG, Wohlfeiler M, Gathe J, Appelbaum JS et al. Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Etravirine With and Without Darunavir and/or Raltegravir in Treatment-Experienced Patients: Preliminary Analysis of TMC125-C214 Early Access Program (EAP) in the US. Presented at the 17th International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2008). Mexico City, Mexico, August 3-8, 2008.
13.Towner W, Lalezari J, Sension MG, Wohlfeiler M, Gathe J, Appelbaum JS, Bellman P, Gottlieb MS, Ryan R, Nijs S, Hoogstoel, A, Van Solingen-Ristea R, Witek J. Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Etravirine with and without Darunavir/ritonavir and/or Raltegravir in Treatment-Experienced Patients: Analysis of the Etravirine Early Access Program in the United States. 2010, JAIDS;53(5):614-618. 14.Simone MJ, Appelbaum JS. Medical Concerns in HIV-Positive Aging. Focus: A Guide to AIDS Research and Counseling. 2009:24(3):1-4. 15.Appelbaum, JS. Cardiac Health Adherence. QuantiaMD series on Primary Care Issues in HIV. 2009: http://www.quantiamd.com/player/rbhydtm?cid=0 16.Simone MJ, Appelbaum JS. Addressing the Needs of Older Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Adults. Clinical Geriatrics. 2011:19(2), 38-45.