Dr. Rodríguez is an expert in primary care for under served and minority patients. He is the 2008 recipient of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Distinguished Service Award from Florida State University, in recognition of outstanding scholarly excellence and strong commitment to Dr. King’s ideals.
Dr. Rodríguez is a board-certified family physician and associate professor at the Florida State University College of Medicine. He is also the 2008 recipient of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Distinguished Service Award from Florida State, in recognition of outstanding scholarly excellence and strong commitment to Dr. King’s ideals, and the 2012 recipient of a Florida State University Transformation through Teaching Award. Dr. Rodriguez is also co-founder and co-director of the Center for Underserved Minorities in Academic Medicine. Dr. Rodríguez has published many articles on numerous clinical topics, specifically as they relate to under served and minority patients. He currently serves as an assistant editor for the Family Practice Inquiries Network, the publisher of "Clinical Inquiries" and "Evidence Based Practice." He is founder and editor in chief of HEAL: Humanism Evolving through Arts and Literature, the Florida State University College of Medicine’s creative arts journal.
He enjoys running, playing Monopoly, caring for underserved patients, and playing with his wife and four children.
2007 - Faculty Development Fellowship in Family Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill NC
2001 - Residency Program in Social Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY.
1998 - Medical Doctor, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY
1993 - Bachelor of Arts with University Honors, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT. Major: Latin American Studies
Co-Founder and Co-Director, The Center for Underrepresented Minorities in Academic Medicine
Faculty Advisor and Editor in Chief, HEAL: Humanism Evolving through Arts and Literature
Faculty Advisor, Association of Latino Medical Students
Florida State University Working Well Committee
Most popular authors in the Medicine and Health Sciences Commons, Digital Commons Network (2013).
Of the 41397 authors in this discipline your work received some of the highest downloads.
Fellow - American Academy of Family Physicians (2013).
Listed in the Latin American Who's Who, Latin American Who's Who (2013).
Elected to Gold Humanism Honor Society, The Florida State University College of Medicine Chapter (2011).
Guide to America's Top Family Doctors (2009).
Nominee for Humanism in Medicine Award, American Association of Medical Colleges Organization of Student Representatives (2009).
Nominee for the Office of Minority Health National Advisory Committee, National Hispanic Medical Association (2008).
Transformation through Teaching Award, Spiritual Life Project of the Florida State University (2012).
Medical Student Council Faculty Member of the Year, Florida State University College of Medicine (2009).
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Distinguished Service Award, The Florida State University (2008).
-In recognition of Outstanding Scholarly Excellence and Strong Commitment to Dr. King's Ideals.
American Academy of Family Physicians
National Hispanic Medical Association
Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Improving Care for Underserved Populations
Minority Faculty, Students, and Academic Medicine
1.Campbell, K. M., & Rodríguez, J. E. (in press). Minority Faculty face similar challenges as minority college students. Letter to the Editor, Academic Medicine.
2.Rodríguez, J. E., & Campbell, K. M. (in press). Ways to Guarantee Minority Faculty Will Quit Academic Medicine. Letter to the Editor, Academic Medicine.
3.Rodríguez, J. E., Campbell, K. M., & Fogarty, J. P. (in press). Underrepresented Minority Faculty in Academic Medicine: A Systematic Review of URM Faculty Development. Family Medicine.
4.Rodríguez, J. E., Welch, T., Edwards, J., & Saunders, C. (in press). Students' perceptions of the impact a creative arts journal has on their medical education. Family Medicine
5.Rodríguez, J. E. (2012). Communities Committed to Underserved Care. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 23(4), 1494-1496.
6.Rodríguez, J. E. (2012). Working with pain clinics and other consultants concerning low back pain. Primary Care, 39(3), 547-52.
7.Rodríguez, J. E., Welch, T., & Edwards, J. (2012). Impact of a creative arts journal on a medical school community: A qualitative study. Journal of Poetry Therapy: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Practice, Theory, Research and Education, 25:4, 197-204.
8.Rodríguez, J. E. (2009). Florida Academy of Family Physicians Obesity Task Force. Florida Academy of Family Physicians. Retrieved from Obesity Master Clinician Website. Published at: www.fafp.org/obesity.html. Accessed on 06/10/2011
9.Allabay, R. A., & Rodríguez, J. E. (2009). Encouragement and elevation. Family Medicine, 41(3), 161-2.
10.Rodríguez, J. E. & Delphin, R (2008) El medico de inmigración. Academic Medicine, 83(4), 326.
11.Ikediobi, U. T., & Rodríguez, J. E. (2008). A Hot African Night to Remember. Academic Medicine, 83(2), 153.
Mentored/Co-Authored Publications with FSU College of Medicine Students
1.Barrie JC, Rodríguez JE. Help Desk Answers: What is the best prophylaxis for menstrual migraine? Evidence Based Practice
2.Bada AM, Rodríguez JE. Help Desk Answers: What are the best treatments for reducing pain due to compression fractures? Evidence Based Practice
3.Provost BC, Rodríguez JE. Using Medical students to teach patients Healthy Habits. Am J Bariatric Med. Volume 23 (3): pg. 15
4.Hofmann MA, Rodríguez JE, Klatt C. Help Desk Answers: What is the best treatment for an adult whose asthma exacerbation has not completely responded to 5 days of oral corticosteroids? Evidence Based Practice Volume 11 (8), pg 4.
5.Soberon AM, Rodríguez JE, Nagy S. Help Desk Answers: What is the role of Carbohydrate Restricted Diets in the management of Hypertension, Diabetes and hyperlipidemia? Evidence Based Practice Volume 11 (7), pg 5.
6.Gonzalez D, Rodríguez JE. Help Desk Answers: What is the best treatment for Exercise Induced Asthma? Evidence Based Practice. Volume 11 (2): pg 8-12.
7.Allen B, Rodríguez JE. A Modest Proposal: Impressions of a first-year medical student. Med Educ. Volume 41(12): pg.1131-2. Epub 2007 Nov 5. (*)
8.Ikediobi UT, Rodríguez JE. A Hot African Night to Remember. Acad Med. Volume 83 (2): pg 153(*)
9.Castillo JD. Knowledge and Attitudes concerning Sickle Cell Trait among Minority Student Athletes. J Stud Nat Med Assoc. Volume 14 (4) pg. 28-32
10.Gonzalez D. Precocious Parenthood. J Stud Nat Med Assoc.
11.Laroche C. Third Grade and the New Me. J Stud Nat Med Assoc. Volume 14 (3) pg. 26-27
12.Barrie KP. Lessons from our Learners: Remembering the Awakening. Fam Med
13.Moss J. Little Black Boy. Pulse Magazine—Voices from the Heart of Medicine, Volume 1
14. Rodríguez JE, Shearer B, Slawson D. Clinical Inquiry: Does metformin therapy reduce development of diabetes and other morbidity in obese adolescents? Am Fam Physiciam.Volume 76 (9) pg.1357-1358
15. Rodríguez JE, Painter K. Health not Cosmetics: Medical Student Obesity Treatment Project. Med Educ. Volume 40(11): pg. 1133-4.
16. Rodríguez JE, Burg JR, Brown LS. Mobile Health Unit for Minority Obesity Education J Natl Med Assoc. Volume 98(11): pg. 1792-6.
17. Aballay RA,Rodríguez JE. Bronx Medical Students Attack Obesity Online: Lessons from the Health Not Cosmetics Web site. Am J Bariatric Med. Volume 21 (3): pg. 15-22.
18. Rodríguez JE, Fornari, AB. Inner City Community Oriented Primary Care to Improve Student Skills and Combat Obesity. Med Educ Online Volume 11 (33): pg. 1-4.
19. Misciagna S, Rodríguez JE, Fornari AB. Identifying Characteristics for Successful Weight Loss: A Family Physician’s Story. Am J Bariatric Med. Volume 20 (2): pg. 14-17
20. Rodríguez JE, Bronx Style Bariatrics: Health not Cosmetics. Am J Bariatric Med., Volume 19 (4): pg. 23-27.
21. Hinojosa JR, Hitchcock K, Rodríguez JE. Which oral antifungal is best for toenail onychomycosis? J Fam Pract Volume 56 (7) pg. 581-582
22. Elliot M, Luft DD, Rodríguez JE. Which patients with suspected exposure to pertussis should receive prophylaxis? J Fam Pract Volume 56 (5) pg. 399-400.
23. Price D, Betancourt V, Kaufman L, Rodríguez JE. FPIN's clinical inquiries. Treatment of impetigo. Am Fam Physician. Volume 75 (5): pg. 703-704.
24. Gerayli F, Loven B, Rodríguez JE. Do inhaled steroids increase the risk of osteoporosis? J Fam Pract. Volume 56 (2): pg. 131-136.
25. Rodríguez JE. The Vitamin K Deficiency. Acad Med. Volume 82(1): pg. 31.
26.Soberon AM, Rodríguez JE. Working with Latino Patients. Am J Bariatric Med. Volume 21 (1): pg. 22-23.
27.Perez A, Rodríguez JE. The Hispanic Paradox: Review of an Open Question. Am J Bariatric Med., Volume 20 (3): pg. 16-22.
28. Samayoa B, Arathoon E, Anderson M, Rodríguez JE. The Emergence of AIDS in Guatemala: Inpatient Experience at the Hospital General San Juan de Dios. Int J STD/AIDS. Volume 14: pg. 810-813.