- January 30, 2013: Dr. Stuart Bagatell presented on POLST to the Coalition of Boynton West Resident Association (COBWRA). See photos below.
- November 8-9, 2012: Professor Kapp presented on POLST at a Symposium titled, "Legal, Medical, and Ethical Issues in Minnesota End-of-Life Care," at Hamline University in St. Pault, Minnesota.
- September 20, 2012: Dr. Stuart Bagatell and Monsignor Gabriel Ghanoum presented at Mercy Hospital during Grand Rounds on "Enhancing a Moment of Grace: Clarifying Advanced Directives." The presentation took place from Noon-2pm at the 6th Floor Conference Center. Two CMEs were offered for physicians and 2 CEUs for nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, and dieticians.
- August 8, 2012: Ken Brummel-Smith, MD, Tracy Christner, Stuart Bagatell, MD, and Professor Kapp presented a workshop, “Implementing the POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Paradigm in Florida Long-Term Care” at the Pioneer Network’s 2012 Conference, “Building a Bridge to a New Culture of Aging,” held in Jacksonville, FL. For more information, please visit: www.pioneernetwork.net/events/2012Conference.
- November 20, 2011: Professor Kapp presented at the Annual Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America in Boston, and the Sarasota Herald Tribune reported on it. The article may be found at http://health.heraldtribune.com/2011/11/21/taking-the-time-to-get-it-right-on-end-of-life-care-wishes.
- November 9, 2011: The article "Is the POLST Model Desirable for Florida?" written by College of Medicine student Brittany Lamb, and College of Law student, Sarah Catherine Spillers is now published in the Florida Public Health Review. The article may be viewed at: http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/fphr/current.htm.
- On October 19, 2011, Kenneth Brummel-Smith, M.D., lectured on POLST at the inaugural UM/VA/Jackson Hospital Ethics Grand Rounds at the University of Miami. The POLST Draft Form [pdf] is being used at the medical centers affiliated with the University of Miami, School of Medicine. There were 30 people in attendance. Contact information for Kenneth Goodman, Ph.D, Director, Bioethics Program, University of Miami, is below
Kenneth W. Goodman, Ph.D
UM Ethics Programs
PO Box 016960 (M825)
Miami, FL 33101
- On October 12, 2011, Tracy Christner, Executive Director of ProjectGrace, www.projectgrace.org, A Suncoast Hospice Affiliate, conducted a presentation on POLST for the University of South Florida (USF) End-of-Life Research Group in Tampa, FL. Professors and students from the Colleges of Nursing and Public Health, the School of Aging Studies, as well as physicians and professionals from three local hospices attended. Contact information is below.
Tracy L. Christner
A Suncoast Hospice Affiliate
5771 Roosevelt Boulevard
Clearwater, Florida 33760