- October 17, 2016: The Center for Innovative Collaboration in Medicine and Law hosted the POLST Summit Meeting at the FSU College of Medicine Orlando Regional Campus. This meeting discussed the future direction of POLST in Florida.
- May 12, 2014: The Center for Innovative Collaboration in Medicine and Law hosted the panel discussion, "A POLST Conversation: Physician's Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment" in room 1306 of the FSU College of Medicine's Thrasher Building. The panel consisting of Dr. Ken Brummel-Smith, Chair of the FSU College of Medicine Department of Geriatrics, Tracy Christner, Executive Director at Project Grace, Susan Ponder-Stansel, President and CEO of Northeat Florida Community Hospice, Michael Sheedy, Executive Director of the Florida Catholic Conference and LuMarie Polivka West, Senior VP and Chief of Clinical Services at the Florida Health Care Association was moderated by Professor Marshall Kapp, Director of the Center for Innovative Collaboration in Medicine and Law. To view the event flyer click here.
- Article written by Rafael Sciullo, President and CEO of Suncoast Hospice of Clearwater, about the strong patient voice in the POLST program.
- April 25, 2013: Dr. Stuart Bagatell presented on "POLST and Patient Rights" at Abbey Delray, a senior living community in Delray Beach, Florida. Dr. Bagatell spoke to 30 residents and a group of nursing students.
- March 17, 2013: Professor Kapp was quoted in a Sun Sentinel article about the POLST form stating: "Because living wills aren't signed by a physician and often aren't medically explicit, health care providers sometimes are reluctant to honor them in an emergency, especially given growing legal liability concerns." Read the entire article.
- January 30, 2013: Dr. Stuart Bagatell presented on POLST to the Coalition of Boynton West Resident Association (COBWRA). See photos below.
- On November 8-9, 2012, the Health Law Institute at Hamline University and the Hamline Law Review presented a Symposium, "Legal, Medical, and Ethical Issues in Minnesota End-of-Life Care." Professor Kapp presented on POLST. This symposium examined problems arising at the intersection of law and end-of-life medicine. Regional and national experts explored issues and topics such as: legal and medical issues concerning the use of POLST orders, especially in Minnesota; institutional and community responses to medical futility disputes; and decision-making for “unbefriended” patients without surrogates.
- September 20, 2012: Dr. Stuart Bagatell and Monsignor Gabriel Ghanoum presented at Mercy Hospital during Grand Rounds on "Enhancing a Moment of Grace: Clarifying Advanced Directives." The presentation took place from Noon-2pm at the 6th Floor Conference Center. Two CMEs were offered for physicians and 2 CEUs for nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, and dieticians.
- On September 11, 2012, Dr. Stuart Bagatell presented on the POLST paradigm in Boca Raton, FL. Those in attendance included: lawyers, registered nurses, home health agencies, and hospice coordinators.
- On August 8, 2012, Ken Brummel-Smith, MD, Tracy Christner, Stuart Bagatell, MD, and Professor Kapp presented a workshop, “Implementing the POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Paradigm in Florida Long-Term Care” at the Pioneer Network’s August, 2012 Conference, “Building a Bridge to a New Culture of Aging,” held in Jacksonville, FL.
- On June 11, 2012 Dr. Stuart Bagatell, an active participant in the Florida POLST initiative, was interviewed by Mr. Scott Greenberg on Seaview Radio. To listen to the broadcast, please click here.
- On June 7, 2012, during the 35th Annual Health Law Professors Conference hosted by the American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics at the University of Arizona in Tempe, AZ, Professor Kapp will present sessions on “The New Landscape of End-of-Life Decision-Making: How POLSTs Turn Health Care Decisions into Medical Orders” and “Innovations in Health Law Teaching: Law and Medical School Collaboration.” More information
- Professor Kapp was interviewed about the Physicians Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form by 88.9 WFSU-FM radio (Tallahassee) on Thursday, April 19, 2012 from 11am - Noon. Listen to the program
- On April 2, 2012, the Center held a meeting about POLST to bring together physicians, attorneys and other professionals interested in leading efforts of implementation in Florida. See photos below.
- December 16, 2011: Thanks to our colleague Ken Brummel-Smith, M.D., Chair of the Department of Geriatrics at the Florida State University College of Medicine, for producing the POLST Draft Form for consideration in Florida. To be exceedingly clear, neither this draft form nor any other specific form has been formally reviewed and approved by any government agency or private organization or institution; it is not “the official Florida form” at this time. This Draft is being circulated specifically for review, consideration, and comments, as part of the evolving process of moving toward an “official Florida form” at some future point in time. Please send your comments and questions regarding this DRAFT form to Professor Kapp at email@example.com for compilation and sharing, and please send copies to Dr. Brummel-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On August 24, 2011 at the annual Florida Conference on Aging in St. Pete Beach, Professor Marshall Kapp presented with Ken Brummel-Smith, M.D. (Chair, and Professor, Department of Geriatrics, College of Medicine, Florida State University, Tallahassee), Stuart Bagatell, M.D. (Affiliated Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, University of Miami at Florida Atlantic University, Internal Medicine Residency, JFK Medical Center, Atlantis), and Tracy Christner, B.S. (Executive Director, Project GRACE, Clearwater) at a workshop, "Beyond Advance Directives: Implementing the POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Paradigm in Florida".
From top left: Marshall Kapp, J.D., M.P.H., Ken Brummel-Smith, M.D., Stuart Bagatell, M.D., and Tracy Christner, B.S.
The PowerPoint Presentation [pdf]
The POLST form [pdf]
- POLST Planning and Strategy Meeting on September 20, 2010. View the information [pdf]. Photos from the meeting are below.